Friday, February 1, 2013

52 Weeks of Baking

I need to bake more. It seems like I do a lot, but there are so many things that I have going on in my head that need to come to fruition. Thusly, I am endeavoring to bake something (new) every week for a year. And then blog about it, because as everyone knows, why even bother doing anything if you're not going to blog about it? Perhaps I'll pin my own food too (masturpin isn't as good a term as masturtweet, but I'm coining it anyway) because pinning is the new black.

Let's pretend our week started Monday, January 25th. Banana Chocolate Chip Donuts. NO GREEK YOGURT.

Let me tangent for a second. Greek yogurt does not need to be in everything. I'm so annoyed by it popping up *everywhere.* GO AWAY. I think part of my irritation is because yogurt is gross, and part of it is because I hate the concept of 'good for you' baked goods, which is what most of these baked goods recipes containing Greek Yogurt call themselves. Dude, you do not EVER need to eat baked goods. I'd rather eat one delicious, full fat, totally bad for me baked good than pretend that I'm doing myself a favour and eat a 'healthy' baked good. Eat a head of broccoli. Admittedly, however, I *did* actually work out how many calories are in one of my donuts and it was a mere 150. Not really too bad, all things considered. You're not blowing your whole diet if you indulge. And there's no effing Green Yogurt.

Anyway.


















Banana Chocolate Chip Donuts
makes 14ish big ones, I imagine. I made 12 big ones and 6 little ones. 

1 tbsp ground flax
1/3 c almond milk
3 tbsp soy creamer (you can probably use more almond milk instead.)
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp vanilla
2 med - lg very ripe bananas, well mashed
1/2 c sugar
1/4 c melted Earth Balance (you might try with canola oil?)
2 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c chocolate chips



















Preheat the oven to 350. You might want to spray or somehow grease your donut pan(s); I didn't and then had to scrub off banana donut bits. Annoying.

Mix the flax, milk, creamer, and vinegar together.

Mash the bananas up good n proper, add the vanilla, sugar and Earth Balance and beat kind of well. Add your curdled milk mixture and beat until everything is really well incorporated.

Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt right on top of the banana mixture and stir until everything is mostly mixed together; it's okay if there are some streaks or lumps, because now you're going to fold in your chocolate chips and that'll make sure everything is mixed well without overmixing.

Use a piping bag to pipe the donut business into the pans. Bake for 8 minutes if you're making wee donuts, and 12 if you're making bigguns. Let them cool in the pan for a couple of minutes and then remove to a rack to cool the rest of the way. They keep pretty well covered for a day or two. If you're looking to add a little something extra, I would suggest a chocolate glaze.

I am the ruler of all that I see.

2 comments:

  1. I know the feeling about "healthy desserts." I haven't experienced it with Greek yogurt, but once I heard someone talk about an Oreo pie that had skim milk, store bought crust, a chocolate pudding pack, etc. and she called it "healthy." Lower in calories and healthy are not the same thing.

    As far as your dessert goes, I'm in love with the idea of banana chocolate chip donuts! Such a good combo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Greek Yogurt is ALL OVER Pinterest. I mean fine, people like yogurt, but does it have to go in every single recipe ever?!?! Sheesh.

    Give the donuts a try! Do a chocolate glaze too, I bet it would be delish.

    ReplyDelete