Sunday, June 10, 2012

Po'boys

I'm not from the south, or even from the US, so my idea of what a po'boy is, is probably incorrect. However, I think something coated in cornmeal and fried till it's crispy topped with a spicy mustardy remoulade sounds pretty divine. Add some coleslaw and a yummy soft bun and BAM! Dinner.

Coleslaw
1/2 head of red cabbage, shredded
roughly equal amount of shredded carrot (I used pre shredded, probably about 3c)
1 tsp salt
juice of 1 lime
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tsp agave
1 tsp coriander
fresh ground pepper to taste

Mix em all up in a bowl and let sit while you prep the rest.

Remoulade
1/4c grainy mustard
1c vegenaise
1 + tsp of hot sauce (I used Franks Red Hot)
1 tsp vinegar (I used apple cider, too lazy to find the white)
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 tbsp paprika
1 - 2 tsp cajun seasoning

Mix em all up.

Tofu
1 pkg tofu, pressed
1c flour
1 c almond or soy milk
2 c cornmeal mixed with 1 tbsp cajun seasoning
canola oil for frying

Slice up the tofu into relatively thin slices. I did about 10 slices, then sliced those in half. Pour enough canola oil into the pan to come about halfway up the tofu slices and heat to med-high. Preheat your oven to 200.
Dredge the tofu slices in flour, then milk, then in cornmeal, shaking off the excess. Carefully place slices in pan (I used tongs because I hate getting spit at!). Fry for a few minutes per side until golden brown. You'll have to do probably 2 or 3 batches, so place the done slices on a plate in your pre warmed oven, preferably on a slice of paper towel to absorb the excess oil.

To assemble
Slice a roll (you could do a sub roll, I did kaisers). Slather the bottom with remoulade. Place a few slices of red onion on top. Top that with a few spoonfuls of coleslaw, then with three or four slices of tofu. Spread a little more remoulade on the top half of the bun, put it top, and enjoy! I meant to put some lettuce on there too, because what sandwich isn't made better through lettuce, but I forgot. Whatever. This was delicious anyway.



















I served with a nice simple salad with balsamic dressing. Have I shared the recipe for that?
1/3 c olive oil
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
fresh ground pepper to taste
Use a fork to beat it all together until it's totally emulsified.

Not yet dressed, but looking good anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment