Thursday, October 4, 2012

PB Cookies

This is supposed to be a post about something I veganized or something new I made from one of my cookbooks. Instead, it's a post about cookies.

I'm willing to bet most people are familiar with the Kraft Peanut Butter Cookies recipe on the back of the extra creamy jar: peanut butter, an egg, some sugar, stir and bake. I haven't made those in forever and certainly not since I stopped baking with eggs.

I was craving peanut butter cookies and searched; one of the first recipes to appear was this one.

First time around, I added vanilla but totally forgot the baking powder. I used a flax egg in place of the real egg. They came out pretty good, very dense though (much like the original Kraft recipe which doesn't call for any baking powder). I decided to try again *with* powder this time.

Sorry for the lighting. It was night time by the time I could get a shot.



















Peanut Butter Cookies

1 tbsp ground flax
3 tbsp water
1 c peanut butter
2/3 c sugar (plus more for rolling)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp vanilla

Mix the water and flax.

Preheat the oven to 350. I like to bake things on parchment paper, so I lined my cookie sheet with parchment. You can probably not do that if you prefer not to.

Ready for baking!



















Mix together the flax/water mixture with everything else. A spatula should do the trick. Divide into 12, roll into balls and roll in some sugar before putting them on the cookie sheet. Make your fun little marks with a fork, then pop into the oven for 8 -10 minutes. Let them cool on the sheet on top of a rack; they are pretty soft at first and won't transfer to the rack well, and by the time they can be moved they're pretty much 100% cooled.

Fresh out of the oven! These are the ones *with* baking powder.


Without the baking powder. A little flat. Not as awesome.




































Nom!

No comments:

Post a Comment