Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Vegan MoFo - Day 1 a few days late (and several dollars short?)

For Monday, November First, I made Chocolate Orange Scones and Artichoke Rotini.

The chocolate orange scones *would* come together amazingly quickly as stated in the recipe if they didn't have a four week old needy baby to contend with. Do you know what's faster than scones? Zero to screaming for a hungry newborn. I grated the orange zest with him in my lap. It sounds easy, but it really isn't. It doesn't help that I use a microplane, which can grate diamonds, so I was petrified of adding a little grated baby to the mix, which certainly wouldn't end well for anyone and wouldn't be vegan, either. When Daddy came home he got to deal with baby while I mixed the scones and threw them in the oven. The dough was much wetter than advertised - the recipe says to form it into a disk and cut it pizza style before throwing the triangles onto a parchment lined baking sheet. We formed a disk. We cut pizza style. The dough was so wet there was nary a triangle to be found when I tried to move them to the baking sheet. They came up in gloppy handfuls and were unceremoniously plopped onto the baking sheet with many swearwords gushing forth from my mouth. They baked for 15 or 18 minutes (I forgot to look at the clock when I put them in the oven because I was enraged and started washing the bowl with a fierceness known only to scorned scone makers) and came out and looked... perfect. Okay, so not triangular. But they were baked and had (lumpy) shape and hadn't just spread out like cookies, so that was one for the win column. The taste? Delicious! Think Terry's Chocolate Orange but a pastry instead of chocolate. Seriously amazing. I will be keeping this recipe around for the long run. And the texture was great too - fluffier than one would have thought given the pre-baking consistency of the dough. They get 5 out of 5 om nom noms from us.
VegNews Chocolate Orange Scones

For dinner I made How It All Vegan's Artichoke Rotini. Dreena and Tanya are Canadian gals and I bought the 10th Anniversary Edition of the book to support the Canadian economy - afterall, I've lent lots of support to the US vegan community with my purchases of all the books written by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero - together and separately.
The pasta dish came together quickly and easily like all pasta dishes should. The marriage of artichokes, capers (yum!), and sundried tomatoes was pretty ambrosial, with no need of added salt and a delicious sprinkle of vegan parmesan cheese finishing it off nicely. It was a hearty and satisfying dish, though what was supposed to serve 4 only served us two (the husband had a second helping), but we have a tendency to eat too much in general and always eat two servings of pasta in particular. If I had accompanied it with a salad of some sort it would have made two meals for the two of us easily. At any rate, it was totally delicious and made me really happy I bought the book, and also gets a 5 of 5 om nom noms from us.
Artichoke Rotini

No comments:

Post a Comment