Monday, November 8, 2010

Vegan MoFo - Day 8

Today was a day of two MoFo meals - Carrot Bisque from Vegan With a Vengeance for lunch and Portobello Feijoada with Brazilian Orange Rice (and a side of bok choy) from Viva Vegan.
The carrot bisque calls for 3lbs of carrots. The organic carrots are sold in a 2lb bag. I hate just eating carrots, Ian doesn't like cooked carrots. 'Coloured Carrots' are sold in a 1.5lb bag. Thusly...
Purple Carrot
The bisque was made with coconut milk and curry (besides all those nummy carrots) and makes a great lunch paired with a slice or two of Earth-Balanced toast. The recipe says to puree half, but I pureed the whole thing, which made for a very thick soup. I'm not a fan of half pureed soups though, and the super thickness is awesome when you have a sleeping baby on your lap - it doesn't drip off the spoon at all.
Carrot Bisque

For dinner, I finally decide to crack the lovely Terry Hope Romero's Viva Vegan. There are a lot of strange ingredients in the book, and lots of recipes call for sofrito (well fried peppers and onions with some seasoning) which is time consuming, so I searched one out that called for no exotic ingredients and no crazy extra pre-food process. Other than soaking the beans overnight, the Portobello Feijoada fit the bill - and since I don't consider bean-soaking much extra work, it was perfect!
Not only is this stew-like dish a nice hearty almost meaty meal, it gave me a chance to try out TVP chunks for the first time since going veg. They definitely gave the meal the perfect texture and soaked up the delicious flavours from the stew so there was no weird soy-y taste like I remember those things having when my mom and I tried them many years ago. I would have liked a little extra spice, so next time I'll be making more liberal use of the dried red chile flakes, but otherwise this dish definitely satisfies. It also makes a huge amount, so we'll be eating this for at least a couple more meals. This was also the first time I got to use my liquid smoke, which was highly exciting and very tasty. I served the dish with Brazilian Orange rice (also from Viva) and not so Brazilian bok choy. All in all, a healthy delicious meal that I can see myself turning to again.
Portobello Feijoada with Brazilian Orange Rice and Bok Choy

No comments:

Post a Comment