Thursday, November 11, 2010

Vegan MoFo - Day 9

You can't make weiners and beans not look like dog food. I don't care who your food stylists are, it's just not a pretty dish. It's definitely one of the foods that you do not eat first with your eyes, because if you did, you probably wouldn't end up eating with your mouth.
Its ugliness aside, I made 'Cheater Baked Beans' from Veganomicon (the quintessential Vegan recipe tome, if you didn't know). They're great and I'll never buy canned baked beans again.
You must get yourself a nice dutch oven if you plan to make them. My mother (who has bought for us many a very expensive kitchen item - she has great taste) gave us a Le Creuset for Christmas a few years back. It weighs a million pounds, but don't let that deter you. In fact, in my experience, the heavier something is, the better it is. For example, my fat cat
Christmas Snick
Seriously, though, there is nothing better than some literally heavy duty cook / bake ware. Get yourself a nice piece of Le Creuset and you'll have it forever and be in love with it the second you bake something to perfection and then... the best part... take only 30 seconds to clean it. Thank god for enamel coating. This thing is a dream, I tell ya.
Le Creuset
Back to the baked beans... I just threw it in some containers and cut up some Yves veggie weiners on top for a little trip down nostalgia lane. Easy, yummy, healthy lunch.
DSC_0616corrsm

No comments:

Post a Comment